YMCA Plovdiv is a part of the worldwide youth movement of YMCA
The goal of YMCA Plovdiv is to give meaning to the young people’s spare time, giving them the possibility to practice their skills and abilities in sports, culture, art and education.
Our key programs are in three fields: Social programs, Educational programs and Outdoor programs.
- Summer camps and programs for the spare time of orphans;
- Jungshar group for children, 6–11 years old;
- Educational program for children from the Romany minority;
- Educational training of children in the Plovdiv’s schools.
- English language courses;
- German language courses;
- Computer courses;
- Training for volunteers who work with children.
- Summer camps in the mountain;
- Trekking tours in the Mount;
- One or two-day trips in the Mounts;
- Cultural exchanges with international partners.
The YMCA-Plovdiv believes that in today's society, our essential task is to give youths and adults the experiences that can help them develop a set of Christian values, moral and ethics.
The YMCA unites the efforts of its members for better physical education, improvement health and ecological culture, raising the spiritual and cultural level of young people, strengthening family, development of civil society and democracy.
In 2016 YMCA Plovdiv has 108 members who are divided into three groups:
- Full members, who are leaders and have rights to vote in the General Assembly and who can be elected for Board members;
- Participate members who take part in the programs and do not want to take responsibility for the ruling of the organization;
- Participate members under 18 years who take part in the youth and children programs.
BOARD OF MANAGEMENT
At present we have 3 members in the Board.
Since 2007 the Chairman of YMCA Plovdiv is Stefan Geshanov.
Usually the Board of YMCA Plovdiv has regular meetings each month.
Thanks to Simeon Iliev, who was a youth leader in YMCA before the communist time in Bulgaria, 30 people established YMCA Plovdiv in May 1991. Simeon Iliev was chosen to be the first Chairman of YMCA Plovdiv till 1997.
The first three years YMCA used the building of Youth Center of the Plovdiv Municipality. It was free for us but without possibility for development. Then we moved the YMCA to another place where we had to pay a rent. And till 2008 we have been using an office in the center of the town, paying rent to the owners. Since 2009 YMCA Plovdiv purchased own office at 14 “Leonardo da Vinci” Str. in the center of town.